Right To Rent


Right To Rent

Landlords are obliged to check that prospective tenants have the right to rent a property in England. This applies to all tenants, including those who are British or European.

For more information, visit the Citizens Advice Website.

If you found our property through a lettings agent or estate agent, then they will carry out these checks. If you are not using an agent, we will ask to see your documents before you move in. We must see original documents in person (copies, scans or photos are not acceptable) and take copies of them.

Tenants fall into two categories: those who have a permanent right to rent, and those who are time limited.

Permanent Right To Rent

To prove you have a permanent right to rent in England, you must provide any one of the following:

- UK passport
- EEA/Swiss National passport/identity card
- Registration Certificate or document certifying permanent residence of EEA/Swiss national
- EEA/Swiss family member Permanent Residence card
- Biometric Residence Permit with unlimited leave
- Passport or travel document endorsed with unlimited leave
- UK immigration status document endorsed with unlimited leave
- A certificate of naturalisation or registration as a British citizen


Any two of the following*:

- UK birth or adoption certificate
- Full or provisional UK driving license
- Evidence of current or previous service in UK armed forces

* Other documents may be acceptable, please see UK Government Advice document for further details.

Time Limited Right To Rent

You may have a right to rent, but only for a certain period of time. To prove you have a limited right to rent, must provide any one of the following:

- A valid passport endorsed with a time-limited period
- Biometric immigration document with permission to stay for time-limited period
- Non-EEA national residence card
- UK immigration status document with a timelimited endorsement from Home Office

Download Acceptable Documents Guide

Changes from 6 April 2022

From the 6th April 2022, individuals with a Biometric Residence Card (BRC), Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) or Frontier Worker Permit (FWP) will be required to have their right to rent checks completed using the UK government’s online service.